Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Optical Question
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:41:20 -0500

At 10:54 AM 3/29/98 -0600, Bud Cook wrote:
>Aren't the 90mm SummicronR, 135mm ElmaritR and 180mm ElmaritR modified
>triplets (as is the Nikon 105 2.5)?   I've read somewhere that these lenses
>were modified triplets and they look like Sonnars to me.

First, which version of these lenses are you speaking of?  All have been
redesigned.

Second, Leitz has used the 'modified triplet' as the basis for a number of
designs, but that doesn't make them 'Sonnars', as this name refers to a
specific modified-triplet formula.  A parallel would be to say that
Mercedes ripped off General Motors because they both built "cars".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!