Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my Winder R8!!!!
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 03:33:35 EST

<< The only problem so far is pulling out the advance knob has become a
 reflex. And the motor doesn't work when the advance knob is out. Gotta
 retrain. As for ergonomics, it really does meld into the body and actually
 makes the camera feel better. Heavier for sure. But it's not bad at all. I
 love it.
 ==========

 Eric Welch
 St. Joseph, MO
 htt >>

I'm am very happy that your winder worked out.    When I picked up mine at the
dealer we couldn't get it to work on my R8.  We returned the winder and the R8
to Leica and they promptly checked it out and returned it(all within three
days).  During my first roll with the camera and winder the film only advanced
automatically about 50% of the time.  Obviously I was not happy with the
performance and returned it.  I agree with you the size and quietness was
exceptional.  I miss the automatic advance feature but have chosen to wait on
the motor drive.  My impression of the winder was that the quality was not the
same as the R8.  Looks good, feels good,  but not the quality that one would
expect from Leica.  I would be very surprised if the winder is not a future
problem area for Leica.  However, I do hope that yours, and other Luggers have
better luck than I.

Bob Bedwell