Subject: Re: [Leica] Vancouver on 50mm's a day! :)
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:50:11 -0500

Jim Brick wrote:

<<<Great great post Ted. More more more. Can you tell us how this "50mm
challenge" came about?>>>>>>

Hi Jim,

I wont go into long details as you'll see my response to your question in
mail to another LUGNUT .

It was very good fun but tiring, as we put in long days pounding the
streets and ocean front looking for stuff. I think the most interesting
scene was shooting the fire juggler at night on Robson street when I used
the Noctilux and Kodak 100SW. The exposures on quick first peek, look
wonderful. Please note, "I said exposures looked wonderful!" :) not the
pictures,:) as I haven't eye balled them yet with a glass and screening for
final cut.

It was a very good way to make the gear work to the best of ones ability.
In the normal scheme of things when you can use whatever you need to
capture the motivating scene, then find yourself restricted to one 50mm
lens, I think it'll really prove that it isn't the gear that makes the
difference.  It's the photographer using it. :)

We'll see after final edit and this had to be a one shot shoot. In other
words, the challenge was a three day limit with a 50mm lens and you
couldn't go back and do re-shoots if you screwed up. Talk about pressure to
prove something. whew! :) And my assistant is a stickler for keeping me on
track and producing. I think I'll elevate her to "Chief Whip!" :)

Let you know the final word after screening and assembling for the Leica
workshop.

Thanks for the compliments. :)

ted