Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: A Chatterton story - misstatements cause fights.
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 05:58:12 +0000

Don,

> Danny, where did you find thar ever said that you were "grumpy and
> disagreeable" ?

I found that in your descriptions of the four troublesome events, only my purchase of
the CL was written with an exclamation for an ending:

"I simply wanted to satify the gentlman with a refund, and not get into a big
argument."

Later in your letter you wrote:

"if anyone calls and starts a conversation with a nasty, insulting and
 unfriendly manner, they are likely to get the same treatment in return.
 This happened in one complaint not elaborated on."

That exclamation seemed to me, to be a leading clue that was connected and summed
up by the later passage. The entire point reading that you weren't interested in my
satisfaction with what I bought for 'code of personal conduct' reasons. I'm glad that you
agree that this was _not the case. In any event, your response was illuminating in regards
to the treatment you demand from your customers.

We've agreed now on the description of our interaction, yet the central problem in this
has not been addressed by you at all. I dont think that a lens that shows brassing can be
fairly described as "mint-" and I it is my considered opinion that offering to only
refund, and not exchange for a true mint- sample, wasn't in keeping with standard
requirements of standing behind what you sell or a good reflection of your warranty.

In your letter you also wrote:

>I have sent personal messages to a few customers and one abroad to whom I
>apologizd for any oversights that may have occured, which are very minor in
>nature.

This was not the case in my experience and I don't feel that what happened in my case
was either an oversight or a 'very minor' disagreement. I do regret our having to revisit
this here but I see no good reason not to relate my experience when asked how
important customer satisfaction is to you, as it relates to the LUG standard of dealer
excellence.

It is quite possible that the day I bought my CL was not a good time in your life and I
do understand that  but, by your own requirements of how your customers must
respond to you.........

Danny Gonzalez