Subject: [Leica] lens caps
From: Thomas Kachadurian <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:30:36 -0500

There's been much talk about filters and lens caps. I know, I've been
writing some of it. I'm not a filter user, but that's not the point.

Here's what I've learned. Before I start shooting I take caps off my lenses
and put the hoods on. If I'm working fast I also take off the back caps.
Then I put all the caps in a side pocket. I use a Domke bag with two 4
section inserts. I always have one or more open slots, and nothing in the
other slots but one lens with the hood attatched in each compartment.

I take a lens off the camera and slide it into an empty slot. I've
developed a way of putting it in so that my fingers slide along the edge of
the compartment until they hit the bottom. My fingers would feel another
lens if I hit a occupied pocket. If there's something in that pocket I put
it in another one without even looking. I take another lens out and put it
on the camera. It all takes a few seconds. The lens is going into an empty
nylon sleeve, and there nothing can happen to it.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, having avoided Duane's lens collisions, but I think
the luck is helped by having plenty of room in my bag and no stray stuff in

No caps, no filters, and so far, no scratches or marks.