Subject: Re: [Leica] Zoom lens for R8
From: N S Ng <nsnga@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:44:15 +0800

RBedw51767 wrote:

> << t 10:29 PM 3/25/98 +0800, you wrote:
>  >I wish to purchase a standard zoom lens for use with my R8.  I have the
>  >35-70mm in mind, but am unsure as to which version: 35-70/3.5 or
>  >35-70/4.0.  The former is significantly more expensive than the latter.
>  >
>  >Do any LUGgers have any experience with these two lenses?
>  >  >>
>   I own the 35-70 /4.0 and I believe that it is the only one available with
> ROM feature.  I was very pleasantly surprised with the results. I believe that
> it still has a $100 Leica rebate which brings the cost to the $900 range.  I
> think that it is a value considering Leica.  Sorry that I do not have any
> experience with the 35-70/3.5.
>
> Bob B.

I have been using the 35-70/f4.0 lens for the last 4 months. I am very
pleased with the results. I bought this shortly after I purchased a R8.
I find my self shooting more with this lens as it is very light for its
size, balances very well on the R8 and even when shooting wide open, the
results are more than acceptable. Very strangely, this lens has an
aspherical element, but Leica does not advertise this to any great
extent. You will not find  'ASPH' engraved on this lens, unlike the
other aspherical lenses.

Regards,

N.S.Ng

Regards,