Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens Glass
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:12:20 -0500 (EST)

Jim Brick wrote:

>It has been said that you cannot get a sunburn through window glass. I
>cannot answer that, but I have a skylight in my library (glass) and a
>lot of faded books on the shelves, and a faded carpet. I had to put a 3M
>UV inhibiting film on the glass.

Jim,

I seem to be jumping in on all your posts today! I think you must be right
on this one because many collectors buy special UV protecting glass for
exhibition prints (cibas, etc). If plain glass was UV proof, that would be
a foolish waste of money!

BTW, if you have not seen the book by Wilhelm on color permanence, he found
that while UV protection helps, dyes in color prints also suffer from
visible light. UV proofing by itself does not prevent fading (but slows it
down). No word on rugs  :)

Nick Hunter