Subject: Re: [Leica] which 90mm lens for the M?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:06:03 -0600

At 09:12 AM 3/24/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I have an M6 0.85 with a 35/2 ASPH and a 50/2.
>I am ready to buy a 90mm for the M6.  Which
>version will give me the highest quality images
>from f/2.8 to f/8?  I do not have to have the f/2 if it
>is not the best since I already have 2 f/2 lenses.
>F/2.8 would be fine.  Some have told me that the
>2.0 is soft wide open and the 2.8 is sharp and
>contrasty wide open.  Any more comparisons
>on these lenses?

No doubt about it, the 90 Elmarit is a superb lens, and is better than the
Summicron. In fact, the 90 Summicron R has a better reputation than the 90
Summicron M. I'm sure the focusing differences might have something to do
with that. But any of those lenses will give you top results. But the
Elmarit (same lens in R and M versions) is the best. Now, with a 90
Summicron ASPH coming mid-98, I don't know. It could have a bit of an edge.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Pi R Squared? No Pi R round, Cornbread R Square!