Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder misaligned at infinity?
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:28:56 -0800

A friend of mine and I were discussing this the other day and I've heard
others ask the question a few times, so I thought maybe some of you old
rangefinder hounds could shed some light...

When I set almost any of my M lenses at infinity, the rangefinder shows
objects at infinity to be just ever so slightly out of alignment.  I mean
really slightly.  This happens with both of my M6s (one standard, one HM),
as well as my Mamiya 7 and an old Canon G-III rangefinder I've had for ages.
My friend's M6 does the same thing.  Is this just normal for rangefinder
cameras?  And if so, what do you trust for an infinity shot -- the lens set
at infinity, or backing off the focus just a bit to line up the ghost images
in the rangefinder patch?

- --Jim Laurel