Subject: Re: [Leica] Part number question....
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:07:57 -0500

After a brief hunt for an acceptable release (non electric) with my R3 on
the grip I bought a well made cable release with a rather small body. In
searching my garage for a suitable spacer to drill for the release, one
that would fit the opening in the grip, I came across an in-line stereo
plug from Radio Shack. It fit in the grip exactly and the opening in it for
the wire held the cable release snugly.

The back of the plug even has a stress relief fitting that make the thing
look like it was made for the job.

Cheers!

kw

>Eric,
>Thanks to you, and all the other responses I got! I have some ammo with
>which to go hunting a release.
>I did try several actual cable releases and all were miserable. I have an
>old cable release, finely made in Germany, and cloth covered, but it is too
>short, and the head is not the right size. I will try to track down the
>Leica releases
>Apropos of this, I went a-lookin' for the release mentioned earlier on this
>board. Someone mentioned that Minolta made a very nice cable release that
>was not too exhorbitant; couln't find it! Everything else is
>schlock/Dreck/poopoo/caca! You would think that with the burgeoning of the
>photomarket, and with people buying expensive cameras, that someone
>would/could make a decent cable release that doesn't fall apart after six
>months' use!
>
>Most P&S cameras don't even have a place for a cable release, but the higher
>end models of Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, et al do have a place
>for them!
>It's easier finding a left-handed pipe wrench....
>Anyway, thanks- gotta get off the soapbox so Mama can call her church
>circle!
>Dan'l
>dwpost@msn.com

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred--->
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423                        <kwilcox@gfn.org>