Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180 vs. Vario-Elmar 105-280
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:38:58 -0500

Someone wrote:

<<<<<I bought a used (mint condition) APO 180 f/3.4 from Jim Kuehl early
last year and have used it often since. Though manufactured in Canada,>>>>

Hey wake up!!!!!!! Don't tell me whomever you might be that you consider it
less of a lens because it was made in Canada.

To give you an idea of this "Made in Canada" lens and its quality factor:
It was originally designed for USA satellite surveillance to the extent
they could photograph a parking lot from space and count the lines in the
parking lot!

There isn't any other lens that can touch it for the kind of thing it was
designed for. And wide open you can shave someone from a hundred yards and
they wont feel their whiskers being cut!

I suppose you imagine it was secondary because it was made in Canada? Well
think again about lenses or Leica gear you see "Made in Canada" as it is
equal to and many cases "superior to that manufactured in the fatherland!"

So lets be careful out there when some of you guys hold your nose in the
air about lenses made in Canada!  Or the warriors of the Great White North
will come riding on our snowmobiles out of the storms with a beer in one
hand an an R8 in the other using Canada made lenses! :)

ted
a warrior of the Great White North! :)