Subject: Re: [Leica] Velvia vs. Provia - what's the verdict?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:02:47 -0800

Tore Larsen wrote:

> I don't have much experience with labs in this country, but in Norway my
> experience has been that I'm generally better off picking my favorite film
> from the manufacturer preferred by the lab I use. Or I can choose the lab
> based on the film I want to use, although I think it is harder to find good
> labs than good films.

You may be on to something there.  I will have to ask.  I know both lab
I use here in San Diego are Q labs, but one seems more devoted to Kodak
and the other to Fuji, at least in their ads and stuff in lab and also
film used by the people who go there--maybe unconscious.  I seldom use
that lab, despite it being across the street from studio,  instead go
three blocks away (I do have a great location, also with a world class
BW lab across the street and a serious camera store three blocks away
plus several Espresso shops within a few blocks) to the more Kodak
oriented lab.

> Labs in Norway (professional as well as 1 hour) have close ties with either
> Fuji or Kodak. They all say that they process E6 material from the other
> manufacturer as well. The information I got from Fuji though is that  the
> two manufacturers use different "test strips," and that a "Kodak shop" will
> not produce optimal results with Fuji film. They acknowledged that in
> principle the same would be true the other way around, although supposedly
> not to the same degree. This has been confirmed by the owner of my favorite
> lab.

> Tore

- --
Donal Philby