Subject: Re: [Leica] Berek and the Leica Glow
From: Don Bledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:01:42 -0800 (PST)

- ---Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:

>>The 'Leica Glow' dates from the Prewar era, when Leitz could not
afford to produce lenses optically
competitive with those from Zeiss and Voigtlander.  Therefore, Max
Berek tweaked his designs to exaggerate the softness of the
out-of-focus images to, in turn, exagerrate the sharpness of the
in-focus images. The result is a final image where the in-focus image
sort of 'pops out' of the picture.<<

You have stated this here a time or two in the past.  I can't help but
wonder how he "tweaked his design to exaggerated the softness of the
out-of-focus image?"  Exactly how did he go about consciously doing
this?  Did he design for excessive coma? Astigmatism? Spherical
aberration?

Keeping in mind I have little knowledge of optical design, it would
still seem that to attempt to implement such a design could be just as
costly as implementing a more stringent design.  I mean, if the
out-of-focus image has to be made just so in order to make the
in-focus image appear to "pop out" as you say, then doesn't it also
have to be made to some specified parameter? And be reasonably exact
in meeting that parameter?

I love cheap tricks

Best, Don