Subject: [Leica] and MF lenses (was: Berek and the Leica Glow)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 21:42:04 +0100

Joe, Marc,

remember? - There has been a thread on old and young MF lenses (and
corresponding techniques) in Oct or Nov 97, which produce MF pictures
like taken with an MF Leica lens. If I estimate correct, it must be
somewhere in the end of Volume 1 of the Leica digest. Although
not exactly the subject, the trhead revealed a lot of valuable
information in this context.

Specially pround was Leitz on the 2/50 Summar with it's pronounced
"Leica glow", which is documented in several of the 1935-1939
bookletts and books.

Alf

- -------------

At 11:02 20.03.1998 -0500, Marc wrote:
>At 06:02 AM 3/20/98, Joe Berenbaum wrote:
>>I was wondering, since there were Nagel folders made in the 1930s with
>>Leitz Elmars, does anyone know anything about the optical qualities of
>>these lenses? I'm mostly curious to know if the results were any different
>>from the equivalent Tessars of the same period. I gather that they are a
>>similar formula- so are these early medium format Elmars at all likely to
>>have anything of the Leica look? It is intriguing to me to wonder if I
>>could get a medium format folder to give Leica look pictures- but maybe
>>there wasn't a Leica look at all then.

>And that brings me to the second point.  The 'Leica Glow' dates from the
>Prewar era, when Leitz could not afford to produce lenses optically
>competitive with those from Zeiss and Voigtlander.
- --- snip
> The result
>is a final image where the in-focus image sort of 'pops out' of the
>picture.
- --- snip

http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm