Subject: Re: [Leica] black and white beginner questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:05:18 -0500

Kodak produces, in 400/27 ISO speed, the following schwarz-weiss emulsions:

Tri-X		the ancient and honourable standard.  A forgiving film of good tonal
range, 			fine contrast, and sound sharpness
T-Max (TMY)	a horror in the darkroom but, when it works at all, it works
most 			wonderfully -- finer grain and better sharpness than Tri-X, and
equal 			contrast
T-Max CN	chromogenic -- can be exposed between 200 and 800 with impunity,
but 			contrast will be affected

One final note.

It baffles me why any b&w shooter would opt to have his or her film
produced commercially.  Do it yourself!  On rare occasions, when I don't
have any C-41 chemistry mixed, I will have a roll or two of XP-2 souped
commercially, with a contact sheet, by my village pro shop, but I do all
normal b&w processing myself.

Which reminds me:  I have to run, now, to print the latest of those Super
Shots I've been getting with TMZ (T-Max P3200) developed in Rodinal!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!