Subject: Re: R: [Leica] black and white beginner questions
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:13:02 +0100

Francesco,

there are two B&W films in C41 technology.
The XP2 is from Ilford,
the T400CN is from Ilford.

However, you seem to be a bit afraid to do the developing yourself.

But I can tell you: It is no problem. I had the sameanxieties when I started
doing my own B&W and brought the films to a shop. Results where
disappointing. It is really difficult to it that bad yourself. You almost
always will do better. I never, really never spoiled a film completely.

Sometimes it will be slightly softer, somtimes harder, but it is never so bad
that you cannot compensate during enlarging.

When I started I kept developing times to the millisecond and temperature to
the millidegree.
Meanwhile I still try to keep the temparature exact but I allow myself to
extend the time sometimes up to 20% if I have the feeling that the pictures
might benefit from it. I never had severe problems.

So this is my 5 Cents encouragement.

Go ahead you won't regret it!

christoph