Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera quality
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 08:22:38 -0800

Hi Ian,

No one is accusing you of miss handling your M6's. I got a new M6 that had
a problem as well. My point is that this stuff happens. My BMW warranties
are 8 years 80,000 miles and they loan you a *new* BMW when they have it in
for either service or warranty work. I have never paid a penny for any work
or repair. Never been without a car. Like Leica. I know we pay for this
"free" service, but the passport warranty makes a problem easier to tolerate.

All of these pieces of equipment are made by humans. The same humans that
fight with their spouse the night before, or were up all night with a sick
child. I'm surprised it's all as good as it is.

And if it wasn't actually made by humans, humans made the robots that made
the part. No one expected the Challenger to blow up a few years ago. If I
paid that much money for a rocket, and it blew up, I'd be pissed!

Stuff indeed happens. When it happens to you (or me) it seems unfair. But
thinking about all that is involved, I'm surprised it's as good as it is.
The older Leica's seemed better because each piece was hand fitted and
adjusted. Leica would be out of business today if they had continued that
practice.

Jim