Subject: Re: [Leica] ground glass
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 19:02:47 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:
> Pete,
> You are going through what I went through with my 4x5 Linhof. A pure ground
> glass is gritty and needs a fresnel lens to make it bright enough to use.
> Focusing wide angle lenses was always a problem when using swings & tilts
> because you have to focus, not only in the center of the screen, but at the
> outside edges. Almost impossible with a fresnel lens (or bright screen). I
> found a product, made in Holland, called the BOSSSCREEN.

Jim,

I have always wanted to buy a second ground glass back for my Linhof so
I could have one to focus with and one to compose with.

BTW, one beautiful part of the Linhof is that it takes the medium format
polaroid back even with swings and tilts and you can still get the
darkslide out.  Horseman won't.  I first went to this back when doing
multiple camera special effects work where the standard 4x5 holders
wouldn't hold the film in register as it moved from camera to camera.
FWIWorth.

donal
- --
Donal Philby