Subject: Re: [Leica] Gray Market vs US Import?? Leicas and Jeans.
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:36:20 -0500

Considering that Nikon (and I think Canon does the same thing) sends most
of their repairs to non Nikon owned repair shops, why not just send your
camera to a Nikon authorized tech who is not employed by Nikon.  I used
to use a repair shop in Atlanta that I know for a fact did all of the
Nikon NPS and non NPS repairs for the Southeast region.  A former NPS
repair tech told me this after Nikon let all of the NPS techs go in
Atlanta back in 1990.

Nikon would take your camera send it next door get a quote mark it up
40-50% then tell you what the repair would cost, a way to make money and
cut employs.

Frank Filippone wrote

>Nikon USA refuses to repair (in warranty or out of
>warrant ,,, it maks no difference) a camera that was not bought in the USA
>or to which you do not have a purchase receipt from a foreign country, even
>if you are willing to pay the repair charges.....

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto