Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 comments
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 08:53:32 -0500

At 11:54 AM 14-03-98 +0100, Milos wrote:
[snip]

>Now, quality - It's way below my expectations. The camera back door doesn't
>sit on tight and isn't leveled with the body. I have heard of other people
>with same problems. Think of all the Leica brochure bla bla about precision
>up to the limits of the impossible and here's a 0.5mm tolerance.
>
>A big surprise was when I got a few black frames on some rolls, both during
>fast and slow shooting. I will have to send the camera in. Anyone had these
>problems?
>
>As far as the lens goes, it has a tiny metal particle between the elements
>somewhere.

What you are describing is not the *quality* of tjhe camera, rather what
seems to be a problem with quality control.  My 2 M6s have none of the
problems you describe (touch wood).  If the camera was of low quality, ALL
M6s would be as yours is.  This is no excuse for Leica Camera.  They
clearly have a quality control problem that must be addressed.  I also own
several Japanese cameras, and belong to the corresponding mailing lists in
addition to the LUG, and, for example,  I never read about Minolta cameras
suffering from all these defects.  It could very well be that many are
created with these problems, but they never leave the factory.

Dan C.