Subject: Re: [Leica] Why are Leicas so much less expensive in Asia??
From: ray tai <razerx@netvigator.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 18:33:26 +0800

Cyrus Gardner wrote:

> snip
>   It is surely true that the Asian distributors and dealers would
> violate their contracts with Leica if they imported into the US.  It
> is almost as surely true that they shouldn't be crossing *any*
> borders beyond their respective territories, whatever they are.  If
> they are doing either in any volume, it may well be because of the
> desperation and temptation presented by currency and economic
> imbalances.
>   The latter cause of some pricing anomalies is temporary, so take
> advantage of it if and while you can.  The former - express Leica
> pricing policy - is probably more permanent.  As in the case of
> watches, though, the non-US distributor or dealer who tries to take
> advantage of Leica's differential pricing by feeding the US grey market
> is risking its authorized status.
>   Having said all of that, what is the name and fax # of that HK
> dealer? <g>
> Cyrus Gardner
> Kormendi\Gardner Partners
> 202/822-0900 voice
> 202/331-1151 fax

The name, address & fax # of the authorized HK dealer is:

Cameron Photo Co.
Shop No. G35A, Hyatt Regency Hotel
16 Lock Road, Hong Kong
Fax: (852) 2739-8575
Tel: (852) 2369-1603

The proprietor is Mr. K.M. Chin.  LUGGER should directly fax quotation
requests to Mr. Chin, or I would be glad to receive any private e-mail
and I'll do my best to respond within a day or two with quotations.  Mr.
Chin is a very nice guy and one of the few honest ones in this
business.