Subject: Re: [Leica] Why are Leicas so much less expensive in Asia??
From: ray tai <razerx@netvigator.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:31:49 +0800

I live in Hong Kong and bought the M6 and 35/1.4 ASPH recently and paid
a little less than those prices.  Leica prices in Hong Kong weren't
always this low.  As a matter of fact, I bought my first M6 last April
and paid New York (after rebate) prices.  The economic situation in all
of Asia has left plenty of unsold stock, especially from Southeast Asia
and Korea.  So the stock is ending up in Hong Kong where the economy is
still thriving (HK has the largest cash reserve per capita in the
world).  The Noctilux actually costs under US$1600 now.  My fellow
LUGGERS especially UK LUGGERS, come to HK, fill up your suitcase with
Leicas and screw the VAT.

Just because Leica cameras are made in Solms that doesn't mean Leica
GmbH can sell them cheaper in Germany.  Supply and demand are still the
factors that determine price fluxuation.  In Hong Kong, supply is
overwhelming while demand really hasn't increased that much. Remember,
we are talking about a luxury brand most average consumers have never
even heard of.  In a way, the Asian situation is helping US prices - the
rebate has been extended.  But prices can never get too low in the US
because if it drops another, say US$500 per M6 body, then when the Asian
economy stabilizes, Leica would have a hard time selling the M6 for
$2500 again.