Subject: [Leica] Why are Leicas so much less expensive in Asia??
From: "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 22:55:12 -0500

Last night, in response to a pricing query I sent off a few days ago, I
received a fax from my favorite (authorized) Leica dealer in Hong Kong. I
never cease to be amazed at the wide discrepancy between the prices I'm used
to paying here in New York and the quotes I receive from Hong Kong.  Some
examples (converted to US$) followed by current post-rebate New York prices
in parens:

M6 body:               $1,517  ($1,995)
21/2.8 asph           $1,491  ($2,095)
24/2.8 asph           $1,362  ($1,895)
35/1.4 asph           $1,491  ($2,595)
50/1 Noctilux         $1,660  ($2,795)
75/1.4 Summilux   $1,582  ($2,795)

for the "R" system:
19/2.8                     $1,816  ($2,745)
80/1.4                     $1,790  ($2,645)
180/2 APO             $3,696  ($6,095)   <= This is tempting!
400/2.8 APO          $7,912  ($12,440)

Having purchased my 70-180/2.8 and 280/4 lenses from this particular dealer,
I'm reasonably confident that these prices are correct.

Anyone on the list care to offer a layman's explanation of the wide price
differential? The equipment I received came with the appropriate papers
(including international warranty) from the official Leica agent in Hong
Kong.  Why should an M6 outfit cost thousands more in Solms than it does in
Hong Kong?

Dave F.