Subject: RE: [Leica] Anonymous Allegations
From: "Tore Larsen" <tore@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:24:31 -0500

Claes,

Keep it up!

I for one, think this list will not at all deteriorate by a few more
critical statements. Also when, for one reason or another you do not want=
expose the source of the claims posted. Rest assured that reasonable
scepticism will be applied by all parties.

As for my experiences with Leica quality control, I just had to return my
new 35/2ASPH within days because of mechanical malfunctioning. The good s=
ide
of the story is that my dealer (Tamarkin, NY) was very understanding,
forthcoming and pleasantly helpful. I received a new lens within 48 hours=
. I
am both grateful and impressed with Tamarkin, this was a "come and go" is=
sue
and I would not be able to demonstrate the problem on demand. The new len=
is perfect and doesn't show this problem at all.

I have experienced more severe problems with Leica in Norway, and not
received this kind help at all. My M6 body is self-destructing-the
film-advance-lever rests on the body and is digging it's way through it.
Everything is firm, but the winder lever doesn't come as high as it is on
every other body I have seen. The pictures come out fine, but the body pa=
int
is gone. I showed this to the repairman at the national importer when the
camera was brand new. He acknowledged the problem, tried a different leve=
to no avail (I could have told him that), and couldn't understand how thi=
had come about. My dealer had already gotten the importer to accept to
replace the top. The repairman could do that, but, he warned me, he would
have to keep the body for several months and the problem would remain the
same (probaly true). I felt very uncomfortable watching him work, and by =
the
prospect of forcing him to do a reapir he was clearly uncomfortable with.
This is a story "from the other side of the world." But the camera is mad=
by Leica, and it definitely passed the quality control in Germany.

After relating the story to one of the largest leica dealers in Oslo, he
told me that the "real" Leica repairman had quit his work at the imorter =
spend half of every year sailing across the oceans, and the other half
repairing Leicas for people who already knew about him.

The moral of the story? Maybe you want to purchase directly from a very
reputable delaer, especially since you are already paying amounts that al=
non-Leica afficinados find ridiculous. Do I consider it a scratch in Leic=
AG's pain? Certainly.

__
Tore