Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Airport X-ray Machines
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 05:53:03 -0600

At 01:13 AM 12/03/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Timothy wrote:
>
><<<<I am now going to use those lead bags for all my exposed film whenever
>I travel overseas.>>>>>>

>You maybe wasting your money, time and film!  This new machine for checked
>baggage does two scans.. The first one sweeps on an overall basis and if
>there is anything it doesn't see through it makes a second scan and hammers
>the daylights out of it until it goes through the unidentifiable item or
>it's decided to have the bags opened!
>
>I suggest if you are taking several hundreds of rolls and you want it
>checked, take it early to the airline and have whatever it is they are
>doing to check and clear packages of this nature for flight clearance.
>
>ted
::::::::
I received this notice on a different newsgroup.  I'm reposting here in
case anyone has not yet seen it.
- -George
::::::::

Kodak has learned:

There is new piece of  X-ray inspection equipment,  the CTX-5000, currently
being installed in major airports worldwide.

This system is designed  to inspect  CHECKED baggage only, not carry on.

Operationally, this unit performs two types of scans.  The first is a
general sweep, which is harmless to film.  The second is a focused,
high-energy scan targeted at any suspicious looking items identified by the
system in the initial sweep.  If this second scan happens to strike
unprocessed film, it will be ruined.

Delaying installation of the CTX-5000 units is not an option.

Given the nature of the business, the severity of this problem would appear
to be great for professional photographers.   Your options are
limited:

     Don't carry unprocessed film in checked baggage

     If you must carry large amounts of unprocessed film, contact the
     airline prior to your filight to make inspection arrangements which
     would not involve using the CTX-5000

- -GH