Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R5 or R7
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 21:07:29 -0800

Not true. R7 is the champion of a long lineage of R cameras. The R8 is a
totally new design. The R4 had electronic problems. It was the first model.
Never buy a first model. Each model after that got a little better. R4sP is
the first model that was known for having most problems solved. I also was
the first model with easy exposure compensation (bracketing). It had an
occasional winder/camera lock-up problem. I had three R4sP's and they all
did it. It was easily fixed. The R5 is the next generation after the R4
with program mode, should you need it. It was quite trouble free so I hear.
But the R7 is the final model and as far as I know, a completely accurate
and reliable camera. The two things about the R7 that sets it apart from
the R5 (and all R4's), is the mirror lock up and setable half shutter
speeds. These are a godsend for bracketing and shooting with long lenses
and slow film (Velvia and polarizer).

All R cameras (R4 thru R7) are good cameras, but the R7 is light years
ahead of the R4 series, and half a light year ahead of the R5. The only
camera that competes with the R7 is the R6 & R6.2 (both have MLU). But only
the R7 has half shutter speeds (a true godsend) and is the end of a long
lineage. Robust and trouble free. Of course the R8 also has these. But the
R8 is the *first* model of hopefully a long line of R8 models. This is why
I have and will have R7's for a long time. Thanks to all you people out
there buying and de-bugging the R8's.

Jim