Subject: Re: [Leica] Sharpness, Bokeh, R, M, autofocus, misc. ramblings
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 21:07:57 -0500

Jim:

Exactly. I printed a wedding this weekend. It was shot with a Mamiya 6 and
an M6. All B&W. The Mamiya stuff was razor sharp and full of tonality and
detail, the detail you can only get from bigger film. BUT, the Leica images
were the nicest of the stack. Softly blurred backgrounds, subjects that
snap out from the background, you know. There's more grain, but who cares.

Tom

At 09:33 PM 3/7/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Back to Bob's post. My LF and R lenses are the sharpest lenses I can get.
>But I don't want my M lenses bone chilling sharp. I want my M photographs
>to look different. And they do. I like the glow, the Bokeh, all of the
>stuff that the Leica M legend is built on. The stuff you all were preaching
>that got me interested in M in the first place. If I want sharp 35mm and no
>Bokeh, I'll use my R camera and APO lenses. But even at 60, I have yet to
>have an interest in autofocus. Maybe I'm too old. Every photograph I take,
>LF, R, or even M, I carefully calculate (mentally or otherwise) what DOF I
>want. And then I focus on the point that will give me the DOF that I want.
>Jim

Thomas Kachadurian
http://freeway.net/~kach