Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers named in Diana event
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 18:29:00 +0000

> I guess not.  From what you are implying, it is very sad that the great
> have to stoop so low.

What's 'low' is the perception of a profession that's based on disdain, pre-conception
and arrogance. Fulfilling the requirements of an assignment is not "stooping", it's
what a photographer does. Though so many would like to seperate themselves from
others, it's proving to be impossible (as Harrison said).

Which brings me around to my original point: Lambasting the ethics of the
paparazzo does nothing but create an angry hoard, all of them ready to inflict
violence on photographers. That, of course, includes all of us when were using our
Leicas.

It would be in your interest to learn some things about the profession of
photography and the ridiculous, toddler style demands we work under. I personally
don't see the distinction between covering the gum targets in Grand Central (a
friends assignment for the NY Times) and getting the star shot at the movie
premiere. I certainly don't see the seperation of journalist from non-journalist in the
above, but guess which one required the press pass...

BTW, the police in NYC will only give published news photographers (at least 10
news photos published within the last 6 months, in major media like the NYTimes)
the pass. In order to perform those assignments you've got to get past police
barricades at least three times _without_ the pass. Willing to try that?

Comparing it to the IFPO pass is an aside to the photographers who've had to earn
theirs.

We do 'all look alike' with a camera in front of our faces.

Danny Gonzalez