Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers named in Diana even
From: Paul Kern <effeight@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 10:22:18 -0400

Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net> wrote

"Interesting information Danny. Actually, I knew that some freelancers who
do lots of work that is legitimate were there that night, but feelancing is
not the same as being a full-time photojournalist. Most people can only do
that by being staff on a paper or magazine (the latter being very rare
these days). "
Paul

As a full-time, well remunerated, freelance photojournalist who has worked
in the past as a staffer for a major wire service and major newspapers and
freelances out of choice I take extreme offense at this statement.

I and hundreds like me prefer working for a number of publications and
placing our material as stock for re-sale with picture agencies or working
as commission photographers for picture agencies because we earn more and
shoot a greater variety of assignments than our brethren who work as
staffers of newspapers and magazines. In particular, we feast of the
feature assignments that take time and patience and often shot with Leicas
Ms  rather than news shot with autofocus SLRs.

Paul