Subject: Re: [Leica] Hoods/Filters etc
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 11:20:47 -0600

At 12:23 PM 3/8/98 +0800, you wrote:

>I deduce from your observations that you have not had to deal with the
>odd sized filters: try to get a 60mm FLD even in Germany and you might

Nope, I don't. I use color negative film most of the time, and I kind of
like using slide film available light, cause it makes cool looking colors.
:-) (Just kidding).

I don't use many filters, because I don't need to. I find FLD filters
almost useless. But then the only solution to better than FLD is to go with
more precise Kodak Wratten filters. They are actually superior to glass
filters, so it seems to me that many people would benefit from getting  a
gel filter holder. If I was a photographer that did a lot of mixed-light
filtration, I'd used those Kodak filters. One sheet covers most lenses. The
only difference is the mount. In those situations, most people have the
camera on a tripod and can use gobos and such to protect the lens from
stray light.

In florescent light I use a 30 magenta filter instead of an FLD, which I
think adds a brownish tint to a picture. The magenta matches most light
close enough to fix in Photoshop. And putting a 30 green on any flash
involved matches the light to the ambient and filter on the lens. The only
problem then becomes windows. Rosco makes big gels you can place over
windows to turn the available light coming in the window into the proper
color. But that's way too ambitious for Leica shooting. :-)

There are lots and lots of possibilities rather than a rather hefty cache
of glass filters in brass mounts. The Calumet catalogue is full of
solutions. I'm sure you can buy from them in Germany, no? Or would
importing such things cost too much? At least it would be a good idea book
for shopping at home.

>but then how else do you explain these changes and the 280/2.8 filter
>situation mentioned earlier?

What would that be? The fact that the '84 version didn't have the drop-in
filters but used the 112mm filter on the front? Well, they should have not
done that, but I'd say their solution was a smart one.

>And yes I know how series filters were used but cannot think why Leica
>continues to use them decades after they were commonly available. That

This IS Leica. Slow but sure. :-)

>Anyhow on a more positive note tell us a bit more about your R8
>experiences: I would be interested to hear if you have found a way to
>speed up the recycling time on your Metz 40MZ: I use one but find even
>with underdogs it is too slow much of the time. Unfortunately it is
>designed to not accept high-voltage packs (another instance of German
>pro equipment ignoring current pro preferences??!!) and I have not been
>able to try the P40 auxiliary pack but from what I have been told it is
>probably not the answer either. Otherwise it is a great unit. If I
>could fit it to my Jackrabbit pack I would be happy...

My R8 has such an accurate meter. It really makes shooting a pleasure even
in difficult light. It's so smooth and focusing is easy. I shot the opening
picture on my web page with the 19 Elmarit (error in my technical comment
on the same picture in my "feature" picture section I have yet to fix) and
the R8. Available light, in aperture priority mode and matrix metering. I
know it looks lit with flash, but it wasn't. Mixed light (and no filters!)
Exposure was 1/15 second at f/3.5 or f/4. Fujicolor 400. Shows off the R8's
meter and the 19 Elmarit. What a lens!

One or our photographers uses a Quantum battery with his Metz MZ40-2. It's
not the Quantum Turbo, but seems to be fast enough for almost all
situations we encounter. I'm planning on getting one too eventually, but I
don't use mine enough to justify the cost of the battery. I prefer
available light whenever possible. But with the advent of summer, I'm sure
I'll be shooting a lot more fill flash soon, and I may want one then.

>I also heard that Leica would fit different filters in the 19mm turret
>'if you provide the right-sized ones yourself' (and I quote a senior
>Leica manager). Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? In opposition

Someone did, can't remember who. Sing Ray has said they will make the
filters. Somewhere in my archives I have the data for the size of the
filters to send in for them to create them with. Unfortunately, the lens
only holds four filters, and one has to be the neutral one for unfiltered
shooting. I like the orange filter for black and white, and the blue filter
for shooting in incandescent light with daylight film, but the third one
I'd like to eventually replace with a 30 or 20 magenta.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...