Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica stuff I've seen today
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 12:50:39 -0500

Eric wrote:

<<Then I saw a Vario-Elmari 80-200 f/4. I must say it's one good looking
>lens.>>>>>

Hi Eric,

My first reaction to using it the other day, "It feels just like a 180mm
f3.4!". It's very easy to handle and comfortable in hand. This is truly a
hand hold able zoom lens with the image in the R8 viewfinder very crisp and
bright for an f4 lens. What does the film look like? Mauuuuvvvelous!
Simply Mauuuuvvvelous! :)

And when you use it with the winder attached to the R8 it's a smooth
operation for picture taking. Something for Leica to consider on later
production models would be to make the knurls on the focus or zoom rings
different. Then you know immediately by feel if you are about to focus or
zoom when still looking through the viewfinder.

This isn't a problem when shooting non breathing things, but I found I
screwed-up a couple of times yesterday when shooting a soccer game thinking
I was about to zoom and threw the focus off instead. But that could be
corrected with daily use and becoming accustomed to the feel in hand.

Now you've had a taste of it in your hands, it'll gnaw on you until you get
it! :) I of course can only encourage you by saying "how great it is and
you'll love it!" :)  Go get it Eric, don't just sit back there and wait,
it's only money and hell you editors make a fortune! :) Don't you? :)

ted