Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@iserv.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 11:10:31 -0500

Pascal,

Let us make the assumption that the difference in quality between an ASPH
and an R-equivalent focal length and F-stop is only 10% and that both are
much better still than the competition. The price to value comparison must
certainly fall to the R series as you can pick up 2-cam and 3-cam lenses
for what to me seems like half to a third of the equivalent M-lenses. I am
speaking of the elmarits and summicrons 35 through 135 and not the APO or
speciality wides. So, for those of us who can't reach the stated pinnacle
of ASPH(dom) then the R lens on an R4s or R4 or R5 may just be the best
bang for the buck until others figure it out and drive the R-lens prices to
the highs the M-series late vintage lenses currently enjoy. For proof just
check out the ridiculously low prices the two and three-cam's are fetching
on ebay compared to the M-equivalent. Absolute bargains, in my opinion,
even if it is for that 10% difference (oh by the way, I wonder if there is
a notable difference of 10% as with sound you need a 3db gain or reduction
in volume to discern the difference?).

Steve

At 11:26 AM 3/8/98 +0100, you wrote:
>I was thinking in my bed this Sunday morning...
>
>Leica should do some more effort for the R lens series. It seems, with
>the exception of the high-end modular Apo teles and Apo Zooms (which,
>quite frankly, are unaffordable for a non-professional user), that most
>effort for lenses has gone to the M series during the last couple of
>years.
>Just think of Summilux-M 35mm 1.4 ASPH, the Summicron-M 35mm 2.0 ASPH,
>the Elmarit-M 24mm 2.8 ASPH and Elmarit-M 21mm 2.8 ASPH.
>We have yet to witness such impressive lineup at the R side! I do not
>think that current R wideangles can measure up to their M counterparts
>(with the exception of the Elmarit 28mm 2.8). E.g. Summilux-R 35mm 1.4
>has no aspherical elements, so it couldn't possibly be on the same line
>as the Summilux-M 35 1.4 ASPH. Same goes for the other mentioned
>wideangles.
>And although I heard that the Elmarit-R 19mm 2.8 latest version is an
>incredible lens, how could it compare to the Elmarit-M 21mm 2.8 ASPH as
>it does not have aspherical elements?
>Or, if there is no or almost no optical quality difference, we would have
>to conclude that the "ASPH" suffix is just a plain commercial ploy...
>Many lenses in the current R series seem like having a rather long
>history dating back to the beginning of the eighties, and seem badly in
>need of an overhaul (Elmarit-R 24mm 2.8, Summilux-R 80mm 1.4 and so on).
>I would be curious to know how they stand up to their modern and
>professional Canon L or Nikon counterparts. In view of the high premium
>prices, they should be the unquestionable top, but I rather doubt this is
>still true for a bunch of R lenses (again: I am not speaking of the
>lastest design lenses!).
>
>These are moments when you start to think that an investment in R series
>lenses is less well-sound than M series (latest). Sure, the R8 is a nice
>camera, but when you start comparing lenses...
>
>Pascal

>t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r
><<< PGP public key available on request >>>

                                            \:|:/
                                            (o o)

  I now have a new Email address: smhickel@iserv.net, please change you
mailer to the new address