Subject: Re: [Leica] contax g2 lenses - comparable to Leica M?
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:19:25 -0800

Not true that there is no way to confirm focus in the G2 viewfinder!
There is a distance scale when you shoot aperture priority, and a
distance readout when you shoot manual.  Pros who already
estimate distances in their heads with the M6 for DOF calculations
should have no problems here.......I have not so far, in testing my G2.

At 09:15 PM 3/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I'd love to try one. My biggest concern is focusing, and the fact that the
>G2 gives no handy means of focus confirmation (unless you consider peering
>at the top-mounted LCD "handy"). For instance, there's no distance readout
>as there is in the Fuji GA645, and while you've got an "electronic
>rangefinder" in the G2, you're relying on the very same circuits which
>handle the AF, so what's the point?
>
>Would be curious to know what cost of service, service intervals and
>reliability are like, not to mention service turnaround times--Leica USA
>just took around 4-1/2 weeks to get my 50 Elmar back to me under the
>Passport Warranty, and it doesn't look like they changed any parts, just
>unbent the bent metal parts and applied some paint. Nuts, had I known, I
>could've saved myself 4-1/2 weeks.
>
>I'm eager to see what the G3 will bring!
>
>Jeff

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com