Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 J and a new M camera!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 18:10:09 -0500

At 10:03 AM 3/6/98 -0500, Emmanuel-Temp Lowi wrote:

>this is simply
>(I think) his shorthand way of pointing out that when it stopped being a
>family-owned company (i.e. Ernst Leitz Wetzlar), and became owned by a
>Swiss businessman and part of a much larger optical equipment company, then
>eventually became a public company first called Leica Camera GMBH and then
>AG - adherence to some of the time-honoured design, quality-control and
>authenticity issues visibly declined. This included the way the company rid
>itself of older parts stocks, cut corners inside cameras and lenses,
>cheapened packaging, etc.

Well, I certainly do not believe this is the least bit true.  For one
thing, Leica packaging is far, far, far better than E Leitz packaging used
to be:  gear used to come simply stuck inside cardboard boxes without any
protective material at all.  For another, I've yet to see any evidence of
any "cheapening" of quality control or the cutting of corners "inside
cameras and lenses".

I own Leica gear ranging from 1946 to 1997, and the new stuff is the best
of the lot.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!