Subject: Re: [Leica] Provence
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 18:21:37 -0500

Heikki Puustinen wrote:

Snip

> By the way, is there any luggers in Provence area in
> France?
> I'm going to take my 3 months old (1986 model) M6 there
> with me at the end
> of April (on week 9817). Any special places to visit? I
> have no other target
> than just to enjoy the 2 weeks in France. Just take a train
> to next place and
> find a place to overnight. Stay a day or two and then to
> next place.

My recommendations for Provence: Go to the local or regional markets.
They vary from town to town depending on which day of the week. Buy your
picnic lunch, make photos, enjoy the town and then head out to eat and
explore the countryside. If you're just travelling by train that will
limit you a little but the Roman ruins in and around Orange are
spectacular. As are those outside of St. Remy near the grounds of the
Sanatarium where Van Gogh had himself committed. The Market in Isle-sur-
la-Sorgue (I believe on Sundays) is incredible. Wonderful subject matter
ranging from people to food to the beauty of the town and a great
antique flea market as well. I tended to stay away from some of the
larger cities such as Aix-en-Provence or Avignon because they were too
touristy in the summer but you may be there early enough to miss that.
And travelling by train may limit you to going there. Try to get to some
of the small Medieval hilltop villages. They're picturesque. Eat lots of
good food. Check out the squares and parks in the villages where there
is usually an ongoing game of petanque or "boules". I'd like to do more
photography of this regional sport or passion. Lots of local turnout and
interest. Hope this helps. The area is meant for Leica photography (back
on topic). They're wonderful for their discreteness in the markets and
the quality of light there lends itself to Leica glass. Bon voyage.

Carl S.