Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 J and a new M camera!
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 07:53:07 -0800

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Faked and phony cameras are not only modern Eastern block country
> frauds.... I have heard about the Eisenhauer M3 pair being faked,
> probably
> made in England and numerous Anastigmat fakes.

Poland has been turning out astounding quality Leica fakes.  the only
way to tell the difference is that the Polish models are BETTER made.
believe it or not.   if you ever seen one, you (and I) will think it's
real.  prime candidate MP and MP2

the idiots in Solms sold the Leica engraving machine when they shut down
Midland, along with BLANK top plates.   the new owner has a habit of
turning up with M4P half frames.  who would have thought it?     perhaps
the most interesting part of this story is how little Solms understood
Leica and the importance of the engraving machine and top plates.
Leica deserves better.

I am told the real Eisenhauer M3 is here in the states, sold off by a
secret service man who was given the camera by Ike.

> There is a modified M6 offered in the Feb 98 Leica Catalog ( LHSA
> Publication) with "custom modified .85x viewfinder installed...$1750"
> How did this camera come into being?  I think the owner is a LUG
> participant from Canada.....S/N for posterity: 1,785,575

Emanual has already posted how it came into being on the LUG. no secret
here.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy