Subject: Re: [Leica] Tips for Hoods
From: abpeking <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 22:35:46 +0800 (CST)

>A prime reason Leica lenses are so small is they don't stick themselves
>with arbitrary filter sizes (like all of them being 49mm).m  That way they
>keep the size of the lenses to the absolute smallest they can.

Eric,

Point taken - but the persistence of odd sizes and lack of filter
availability for them is still irritating and unnecessary IMHO. How do
you explain the lenses without any filter threads but series filters
that fit in hoods (e.g. 35/1.4, 50/1.2), or the one-off 49mm for the
3rd  28mm-M version? This preceded by a 48mm and followed by a 46mm
version...

By the way I shot with the Ms in the bottling plant (as well as SLRs
with Lee filters) because they suit the job - except for the irritating
inconvenience of filter threads for which even basic color correction
filters are nigh-on unavailable. My point was that if Leica (nor,
practically-speaking, anyone else)isn't  making the filters pros need
in these sizes it would make a lot of sense to adopt sensible sizes
which reflect current industry standards (e.g. 58mm or 62mm instead of
60mm). This would show a commitment to professional photographers on
Leica's part that seems to have slipped somewhat since the heady days
of the 60s...

I would be interested to hear if Calumet or Sinar produce adapters for
60mm threads or 67EW, Series VII etc since I know Lee do not...

Photojournalist
Shanghai, China