Subject: Re[3]: [Leica] Princess Di and The Drunk Driver (off-topic)
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 2:12 +0000 (PST)

Art Peterson wrote:

>      Trying to assign responsibility is like a dog chasing its tail;
> that's      the dilemma our legal system is beginning to find itself
> facing at the      end of the 20th Century.  Simply put, responsibility
> is a fiction!

Particularly in this case.

The man who made the first claims about chasing paps was Michael Cole, an
employee of Al Fayed Sr. But since Al Fayed Sr owns The Ritz in Paris, and
would be liable if the driver he employed was shown to be drunk, then it's
in his interest to blame someone (anyone) else.

As to the general public's choice of culprit, it's not surprising the
majority choose to blame the photographers. Many people drive under the
influence, few know working press photographers, so they're bound to
choose to demonise a group of which they're not - and have never been - a
member.

            David Morton  |  Please don't tell my mother I'm a journalist,
dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  She thinks I have a respectable job playing
     (+44) 171 272 8908   |  the piano in a brothel.