Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting the Lone Cypress
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 23:45:27 -0800

PDN has not mentioned this because I have not told them. And I would just
as soon not at this time. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has
bothered to read the Lanham Act, and do a trademark search for all of
Pebble Beach's "registered" trademarks. You can photograph and publish
anything and everything at Pebble Beach, as long as it is editorial use and
not promoting a product or service (yours or anyone elses'). The Tree,
however, is not trademarked AND doesn't qualify in use recognition. They
have signs stating otherwise, but they are wrong. All they have managed to
do is piss-off a lot of local people. I spend a LOT of time in Carmel &
Monterey. But because PB is so self serving, we simply do not patronize
their establishments. There's a lot of coastline and golf courses other
than their's. I'll spend time at Pt. Lobos any day rather than PB.

You can find Trademark info at
http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/trademark.html  and  http://www.ggmark.com/

Another very very interesting story about a photographer who just beat the
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on a trademark case is at:

http://205.234.16.2/asmpnews/gentile.html

Jim