Subject: [Leica] Photographing public buildings......
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:11:42 -0500

>I found that the security guards get very annoyed when you start to
>photograph public buildings - with or without tripods.  I got told by
one
>guard that it I could not photograph public buildings for security
reasons.
> I don't know if it was true or not, but I didn't want to argue the
point.

I've been asked to leave several places in the Chicago area by Security
guards, but than again in another case, one offered to take me up on the
roof of his building,  I declined as there was nothing I wanted from that
vantage point.

Security is a valid issue in theory, but in practice, people who want to
do surveillance of a building are likely to figure out another way to get
the shot.  I wanted to photograph the county jail in downtown Chicago as
it's a interesting visual design,  I really wanted a shot from below
looking up, but a guard quickly made me leave.  But there is a parking
deck across the street, and I was able to get some decent shots from
there.  Incidently, self parking structures are great places to work from
in downtown Chicago.

Many museums and churches in Peru and Ecuador will no longer let you
photograph or take videos inside.  It is for security reasons the say, as
they have documented evidence of thieves who have taken photos of arts,
circulated them around the world art collector market and if and when
they get a suitable buyer, break in and steal the work of art.   Security
in many places isn't all that great to begin with and they are trying to
limit damage as much as they can.  It's not so they can sell more post
cards as none have postcards or books of their specific treasures.

I've photographed in the Art Institute of Chicago and in the Smithsonian
without any questions,  no tripod.........

Duane