Subject: Re: [Leica] ZOOM vs. Fixed?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:59:15 -0500

Eric wrote:

<<<I'd love to try one. Has anybody out there?>>>>

Eric,

I have a 70-180 2.8 and it's an incredible lens! There isn't anything else
I could say other than at any length you use it, it is the the finest zoom
made.  I would defy anyone to look at slides or negs and tell me it was
shot with a zoom lens as compared to a prime lens.

Set at 100mm, it produces the same quality of film recording as the Apo
macro 100 2.8. Obviously it is not a macro lens, therefore you still need
the macro 100 for the real close-up stuff.

It is a tad on the heavy side, however one can over come that with muscle
building in shoulders and upper arms.:) Or as I have come to learn when
time permits, use a monopod or with lots of time, use a tripod.

This week I'll have the 80-200 and the 105-280 to work with and give you an
idea of how I relate to those lenses also.

I think if one had a 15mm, 35--70, 100 macro, 70 -- 180, & 105 -- 280 they
could cover 99.9% of their work with no other lenses. Plus the 2 extenders
would be an asset.

ted