Subject: [Leica] Serial Numbers
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 07:58:32 -0800

From: "Peter Su" <psu@jprc.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] M6HMF (0.85) Serial Numbers

I am wondering to myself  what the purpose of these little lists are, and
if
they are going to go on long enough to become very very large lists.

Pete,
The list is being compiled on a brand new camera, with the assistance of
real time communications among the early adopters.  This is the first time
there is an effort to understand how Leica introduces a new camera into
production, what the first runs look like, changes to construction and
engraving, etc.   The list has already started a discussion among
histroians, and the hope is that some theories can be started, other
theories proven right or wrong.

I expect the list will not last a lot longer, as the members of LUG have by
now pretty much bought the cameras they want.  The information is only
valued in the initial shipments.  After this, the production will be in
full tilt.  I will continue to maintain the list for whatever Serial
Numbers can be accumulated, but it will not be reported except on an
exception basis.  The data is also stored by myself and appears on Stephen
Gandy's site.

I apologize sincerely to you if you find this topic not of interest.
However I do not apologize to the community.  We each have differing tastes
and interests in Leica-dom.  I patiently jump over the topics that do not
interest me.  I would hope others would do the same.  There are 500 odd LUG
members, and today the list reached 20 cameras.  Without this membership
this data could not have been collected.

Thank you to all who have inputted data.

Respectfully,
Frank Filippone
red735i@worldnet.att.net