Subject: Re: [Leica] 90/2.0
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 10:12:40 -0500

At 12:11 AM 3/1/98 -0500, you wrote:

  Do you think a great photographer would always
>have a theme in his/her photos.  Or many just REALIZE the theme after
>they develop the photos?

 I have another question for you.  What do you think about Salgado's
>photos (Workers)?  Do you think he was trying to help those poors when he
>took those photos?  Or you think he was using those poors to make him more
>famous?
>Regards,
>Tony Chang

Tony,

I think it works both ways.  Some photographers start out with a theme that
they want to communicate.  Others don't realize until after they have taken
many photos what the theme is.  I guess I belonged to the last group for
ten years, but I'm beginning to work more and more toward a theme.  I
really admire Salgado's work.  I've read a lot about him and believe that
he really wants to help the people he photographs.  He started out as an
economist, not a photographer. He uses his photography to make a point
about the distribution of wealth in the world.  His photos about the land
struggle in Brazil are particularly effective.  He uses Leicas!  Best - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>