Subject: Re: [Leica] Flare problem with 35 Summilux ASPH
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:08:24 +0100

PS: I just checked - you can reproduce it any time, even with a
legendary lens like the Hasselblad SWC's Biogon 4.5/38, when the
sun is just a little above the picture. Though the picture does
not show the sun itself, the rays hit the lens and produce the
flare. The wides and super wides, specially the ultra high speed
lenses within this group, are constructed to "fetch" all possible
light and "bring" it into the far out corners of the picture. So,
you either use the flare as a construction element in your picture
or you make your wife, friend, or the cat shade the lens from half
a meter away. If there is no cat, even an umbrella might help.

Alf