Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #201 DR on M6 and Thoughts on handling a M6MH
From: cummer@asiaonline.net (Cummer Family)
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 13:06:33 +0800 (HKT)

Hi Stephen,
I have my DR Summicron here in front of me (serial # 2097422) and it mounts
easily on my early M6 (serial # 1708677) whether at infinity or not. I was
at the Leica showroom in Hong Kong the other day (it has just moved to the
36th floor of Dorset House in Quarry Bay - next to the building where I have
my office) and it was quite a procedure to get into the showroom. When you
come out of the elevator you are at reception and you tell the receptionist
you want to go to the showroom. Someone comes out to get you and you go
through security doors with your escort and he takes you into a small room
lined with locked glass cases where the cameras (Leicas Ms and Rs and Minoxs
are kept. You tell your escort what you want - I wanted to "play" with the
M6 MH (0.85) - and he unlocks the case and gives you the camera to handle
and then observes you. I will now take my DR summicron down to the office
and walk over to Leica sometime and try it on the new MH to make sure it
fits before I buy the MH which I think I will do in the next few weeks. As
others on the LUG have mentioned the 0.85 view finder really works best for
50 mm and longer lenses. The 35mm frame lines are at the extreme edges of
the finder - much like the 28mm lines on the regular M6 and since I wear
glasses I have trouble seeing the 28mm framelines on the regular M6 and I
also have trouble seeing the 35mm lines on the M6 MH. Still because I take a
lot of (amateur) theatre pictures with my 90mm Summicron I think the M6 MH
will be effective for me. If I use 35 mm lenses a lot with the new camera I
will buy an old 35mm viewfinder to fit on the hotshoe like I use the 28 mm
view finder on my regular M6 - I like the clean image without any other
frames at all. Finally, sorry to ramble on, the escort at the showroom told
me about the 28/35/50 combination lens which is coming (which is old news on
the LUG) and also said that Leica is going to start to manufacture a flash.
I didn't pursue this comment but I assume it is for the R8. After I finished
handling the M6MH, it was all carefully locked away again, and then I was
loaded up with brochures, price lists and retailers' addresses and escorted
back out through the security doors (which only open from the inside with a
swipe ID card) to the reception / elevator area. In Hong Kong the reason you
go to the wholesalers show room to handle the cameras is that the retailers
will not open a sealed Leica camera package unless you buy it. They say that
their customers all want to buy sealed packaging and they don't keep enough
inventory to have demonstrator models.

Howard Cummer

>From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
>Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:29:34 -0800
>Subject: [Leica] Late & Early 50/2 DR on M6
>
>I was curious about the different versions of 50/2 DR on the M6, so I
>borrowed a late one and compared them on a late M6.
(snip)

>NEITHER lens would mount directly on my late M6 # 2184470 if the lens
>was focused at it's closest normal focus, i.e. 3'4."    However, mount
>the lenses focused at infinity, and they both mount perfectly.    BTW,
>this seems to be a problem of the M6 (or at least the late ones) since
>there is no such problem on the M4 and M3 I tested.
>
>The situation was duplicated if I tried to remove the lens when focused
>at 3'4".   Yet, by turning the lens to infinity, it removed beautifully.

(snip)