Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Leica Basketball
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:07:58 -0600

Harrison,

I've never read thoughts on photography that I'm in more agreement with. I
don't shoot sports -- more often concerts -- but what you write applies
completely to my photography as well.

I currently shoot with Nikon rather than Leica, but this is one of the
reasons I enjoy reading this list so much. You don't find thoughts like
these on the Nikon list.

Larry

Harrison McClary wrote:

I did used to use Canon EOS, but when shooting sports I was more apt to
set the camera to manual as you literally have to change the way you
shoot when using af.  You have to be sure you keep the little focusing
sensor on what/who you want in focus.  The way I shoot is to keep the
subject in focus using the ground glass, sometimes keeping focus while
other players come between me and the action, sometimes keeping the
subject off center in the frame, something you can't do with AF.  I know
Canon makes a multi sensor AF now, but then you have to remember which
sensor you have selected to keep the proper subject sharp....

The reason I do not set auto metering methods is that I shoot almost
exclusively chrome and I have yet to see a meter that is as smart as I
am.  A reflected meter such as in any camera is easily mislead, esp when
you shoot back lit subjects as much as I do.

I personally think that everyone should get a fully manual camera as
their first camera so that they can learn proper exposure and how to
control the light.  This is what I did and never saw an advantage to the
auto methods.  Also IMO an incident meter is a MUST.