Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 - Help!
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 21:59:48 +0000

Tina Manley wrote:

>LUGnuts -
>
>I have a problem with my new R8.  I developed a roll of film that had only
>one narrow strip exposed on each exposure.  When I opened the back of the
>R8 to check it, I could see that the shutter curtain is messed up - twisted
>and with gaps showing.  I'm afraid to touch the curtain.  Is this something
>that has a simple fix or should I send it back to Leica?

Tina - sympathies - I'm appalled.

If Leica don't give you a no-questions-asked immediate replacement, I'd be
most surprised.

But that's no excuse - judging by what I've heard from the LUG about flawed
lenses, Solms had better get their quality control problems sorted fast
before their market disappears. Have they stopped testing these things?

Every Leica (M & R) I have is at least 20 years old, and has never
developed a terminal fault like that.

Maybe they ought to adopt to Rolls Royce approach:

Guy breaks down around 1935 in the Swiss Alps with a halfshaft failure.

Rolls are contacted, fly out a mechanic with the part, and the guy goes
happily on his way.

Later he contacts them as says "Where's the bill for the halfshaft?"

"Sorry," they say, "there can't be a bill because RR halfshafts don't break".

A lesson for Solms??

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst