Subject: [Leica] Off Topic - Film fogging at airports
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:32 +0000 (PST)

This is from the Fleet forum on CIS (the forum for UK journalists, of
which I'm a SYSOP), the original was published in the BJP:

- --------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------------

FOLLOWING KODAK'S warning about possible X-ray damage to film at airports
 the British Airports Authorities (BAA) warns that photographers should be
cautious when travelling with undeveloped high speed film.

Photographers carrying large quantities of undeveloped high speed film,
which cannot fit into their hand luggage, should contact the airline in
advance, so that appropriate security screening can be arranged. The point
should also be reinforced on arrival at the airline check-in desk, advises
BAA's Glenda Ross. Transfer points at other airports should also be taken
into account.

Damage to film by the X-ray screening of hand luggage has been unproved in
extensive tests carried out in 1993 by the BAA and the British
Photographers' Liaison Committee (BPLC). The latest worries are only
connected with new extra-safe hold baggage screening devices being
introduced throughout the world.

Gwen Thomas, BPLC secretary, states that the body - which ,reflects the
interests of many UK  photo associations - will be conducting new tests,
to include still  and movie film as well as digital  cameras, and will
report its findings as soon as possible. 'We concluded in 1993 that
photographers  should not place film into an aircraft's baggage hold at
all" she  confirms

 The BAA announcement follows an 'isolated incident' five months ago where
a BBC natural  history film crew claims to have  experienced a problem
with fogging damage to undeveloped film, believing it may have been
caused by hold baggage screening .
A BBC spokesman confirms la that five-week's worth of filming  in Papua
New Guinea for David . R Attenborough's Life of Birds  series has now been
re-shot after a successful insurance claim.

            David Morton  |  Please don't tell my mother I'm a journalist,
dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  She thinks I have a respectable job playing
     (+44) 171 272 8908   |  the piano in a brothel.