Subject: Re: [Leica] Ring light strobes for Leicaflex and R cameras
From: Fred Hess <fredhess@wxs.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:23:47 +0100

Harry Bass wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I wish to experiment with using a ring light *strobe* on a Leicaflex SL
> when photographing coins.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions as to any such ring lights that can
> be mounted on the lens?
>
> With the Leicaflex SL w/ Summicron - R 2/50, we are using currently
> the two part camera to lens accesory #14134. We also have one of the
> extender rings #14135 - but not being used at present.
>
> Clearance from lens front to object would, of course, be a consideration.
>
> TYIA,
> Harry Bass
> Harry Bass
> HWBass@HBRF.ORG
> !!!!

I work with two ringstrobes: the Paffrath & Kemper UR 130. Made in
Cologne/Germany.
The German firm S&A (Ochsenfurt)still is makes these, and other
ringflash-units.

Also I work with the Minolta Macro 80 PX in combination with the
LEITZ-RBA Ringflash-adapter, no. 14410.This equipment is no longer
produced.

The first device is a simple one, no TTL-flash. The generator has an
adjustable output from 10 to 60 Watt/sec. The flashhead/ring is mounted
by a adapter-ring to the lens.
I mostly use the flash on the Macro Elmarit 100mm. But also in
combination with Enlarging-lens Focotar 4.5/50mm and the special
Macro-lenses Photar 50mm, 25mm and 12,5mm.
The correct exposure is determined by means of an exposure-calculator.
This quitte accurate in most cases. And the loss of light, due to large
magnifications is compensated by the decline of the distance between
object and lightsource. It is my experience that by magnifications of
1:1 or larger, you don't have to chance the exposure!!

The second unit I use, Minolta & LEITZ-RBA-adapter, is of course much
more easy. The TTL-mode takes care of the correct exposure. And the
pilot-lights make focussing quite easy. An other advantage are the
switchable sector-lights; they enable a more "plastic" light. To show
more details and contrast in your object. This is important for instance
with coins etc. In LEICA-Fotografie 5/89, pag. 38 e.v. is an article
about this Ring-flash-unit. I use this Minolta/Leitz-combination with
the same, above mentioned, lenses.
May be you can try to find this unit on the second-hand market. Although
TTL-flash in combination with the Leicaflex SL is not possible.

Regards!!!!

- --
Fred Hess

Den Haag   / the Hague
Nederland / the Netherlands (NL)

tel + 31 70 325 83 12    fax + 31 70 325 86 34