Subject: [Leica] Re: You Leitz Up My Life
From: "T.Lavrakas" <lavrakas@matrix.ru>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:54:17 +0300

Dear LUG members:

As a new subscriber to the group, I'd like to thank you all for the putting
in the effort that make it such an delight to read.  I like most everything
about the group - even the madhouse chatter over the 'red dot' was good for
a laugh.  And while I enjoy reading about tripods as much as any of you, I
hope you agree that letters such as David Guidry's report on shooting the
Mardi Gras and Tina Manley's tales of Greece are by far the most
interesting.  I'd like to encourage the members not to be shy, and to put
together a few paragraphs whenever they have an interesting day's shooting.
 Then we can all enjoy the experience.  Once the glacier that's blocking my
street recedes, and I'm able to get out the front door, I might even try to
send something in myself.

One reason that life in Russia is so interesting is that so very little of
it makes any sense - it keeps you on your toes.  I can make this point by
sharing a friend's experience.

A woman I know works for a major news agency.  One day, they sent a
photographer out to get shots of Lenin's Tomb.  Arriving at the Red
Pharoah's bier festooned with high-tech Canon SLR's, our hero was
immediately pounced on by the militia.

"This is forbidden!" they cried.  "Clearly you are a professional, and you
cannot work without a permit" (Permits are simple enough to obtain - all it
takes is about 500 bucks and three weeks of your time).  Hold on, you
Luddites - before you start laughing, take a look: our hero has come
prepared.  From his backpack he produces - need I say it?  "Can I take some
pictures for myself then, with this thing?" he asked.  Who can say why -
maybe the red dot made the officers nostalgic - but the brave people's
guardians assented.  Our hero got the shot.  "And gee," my friend said,
"the pictures where really, really beautiful.  They had, like, a special
quality about them ..."

I myself was once stopped from taking a picture of a communist procession
marching up to Lenin's Tomb (such folks like to go there and like, hang.
They really should.). Forbidden!

	Me:		Why?
	Militiaman:	Cuz!
	Me:		I thought this was a free country now.
	M.:		(Ponders) What you do when my back is turned does not
			concern me.

See?  It's not such a bad place, after all.  And you can get nice LTM
lenses, dirt cheap.  Come in Summer - or bring your crampons.

Best wishes,

Tom Lavrakas
lavrakas@matrix.ru